This is a correctly sized, direct replacement positive metal clad valve stem seal for the Dodge 2.2/2.5 (8 valve) engines. This valve stem seal style is known as a “positive metal clad” design seal that directly replaces the Chrysler factory valve stem seal (Mopar #4201 332/4201332) that was designed in the 70’s and made entirely of Viton rubber, basically a heat resistant rubber product.
ALL RUBBER POSITIVE SEAL
The problem with the original factory seal design, even though they were good for the time, is that they wear out and allow too much oil to get past the seal and into the valve guide area under the seal. This excess oil under the seal gets sucked into the engine on the piston's downward strokes (because the piston creates a vacuum drawing the excess oil into the combustion chamber through the valve guide) which makes the engine burn oil and smoke. Other common problems with the original design include:
- They sometimes tend to pop off under high temps and extended high RPM applications, especially when they get old or if the cylinder head is serviced.
- They also do not maintain a proper seal when they begin to get worn and when they get hard and brittle over the years
- They crack and let a tsunami of oil into the combustion chamber!
- No rings or bands for increased life or oil control
- Best suited for low temperature applications
POSITIVE METAL CLAD SEAL
A positive metal clad valve stem seal solves all the problems of the original all rubber design. These seals are heavy duty, and a higher performance seal than the original factory and all aftermarket seals. They fit perfectly over the standard and over-sized 2.2/2.5 valve guides, with or without locks. These valve stem seals are exactly the correct total height, have the correct inner seal height, and are designed for our standard 8mm (5/16”) valve stem size. The improved design of these seals has the following important features:
- The entire seal is encased in a positive metal clad container. This helps it stay on the valve guide since it can not expand and be forced off under extreme RPM or heat.
- The seal has a spring retainer on the top of the seal which helps to maintain a positive seal even after many thousands of miles of usage.
- Excellent oil control properties.
- Can also be used with up to 0.003" oversize valve stems and 0.008” oversize valve guides.
- This is NOT a ‘hemi’ or Chevrolet “LS” style seal. The LS seal has a total seal height that is too short, is easy to damage during installation, is too large for a snug fit over the valve guide, and has an inner seal height that is also too short for the standard 2.2/2.5 valve guide. The “LS” seal fits, well kinda....